Monday, June 24, 2013

Today I'm thankful for my opportunities to practice my español with the Latino communities I am working with. I'm thankful to be able to surround myself with Mexican accents that will help me prepare better for my upcoming year on the Tucson-Mexico border than my still-amazing adventures to Spain, Nicaragua, and Cuba have. I'm thankful to try to overcome language barriers to be a better advocate and hear the stories of those who have made arduous journeys to Northfield, Minnesota, where they are oftentimes still in the shadows.

I'm thankful to have met an aunt who brought her nieces and nephews to my summer lunch program (and their chihuahua Taco!), and to have been someone she could open up to about how she was just one of the thousands who have crossed the border to Arizona and walked through the desert for days. She met her sisters here while her own children are still back in Mexico struggling for pesos. She, heartbroken for them, makes her living here by housework and taking care of others' children (and Taco!).

I'm thankful to have met a father who seems newer to this community, admits learning English is hard, and was pleasantly surprised by my attempts to speak Spanish with him, asking where I learned it. "High school, and there's still so much vocabulary I don't know!" But it was so nice to be able to let my volunteers fend for themselves and entrust them to keep things running smoothly so I could talk with this new father and the two adorable girls he brought with him. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to explain the TORCH program that these girls may be in when middle school rolls around and make jokes about nail polish and trains with a four-year-old who cannot yet roll her "r"s. 

I'm also thankful for salsa dancing, lime, cilantro, and spices that make this Minnesota white girl sweat... 

... for new roommate bonding over rolled-up cuisine, aka crepes one day and enchiladas the next....

...for old roommate and other close Carleton friend re-bonding over the phone...

...for old high school friend revitalization with a weekend of good times with her family, volunteering with her family friends, and registering (for free!) to be on the bone marrow donor registry to possibly save a life someday...

...and I'm thankful for warm summer days and crisp summer nights. If the weather would make up its mind, that would be even more ideal. But for now, I am thankful for Spanish and for summer.

Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment